How do I light my coal fire?
Lighting a coal fire needn't be a challenge. The secret to a great fire is to create a small combustion chamber that your fire can take hold of, and quickly grow to a high temperature.
The video below will take you through the surprisingly simple steps to light your coal fire.
Before you get started you will need firelighters (we use white kerosene firelighters in this video as they are the most common, but other natural firelighters such as Twizlers or Fibre-Lighters work equally as well), dry kindling wood and good quality coal or smokeless coal.
Always start with a clean fire grate.
- Firstly, place 2-3 Twizlers onto the firebed.
- Then, add the kindling ontop of the Twizlers. This is your combustion chamber. For the time being ensure that you leave plenty of air gaps.
- Light the Twizlers from underneath the kindling.
- Once the Twizlers are lit, add a few more pieces of kindling to the fire to build the heat.
- Immediately, start to add a generous amount of smokeless coal on top of the fire.
- Ensuring all the kindling is covered with the smokeless coal.
- Give the fire enough time to grow and for the smokeless coal to catch light.
- Finally, you can sit back, relax and enjoy the warmth of your cosy fire.
Works every time!